Friday, April 16, 2010

Snow Skiing

I tried skiing when I first came to Utah, about 3 lifetimes ago. Let's just say that it was a traumatic experience and leave it at that. Like most traumatic experiences, the pain has faded to a dim memory. I decided it was time to try again. I have a sweet friend that was willing to aid and abet me in this craziness. She takes her sons fairly regularly and I told her that I would like to go. So last Friday was the day. Spring skiing is much better that winter skiing; let me start with that fact. Alta ski resort has "Ski Free after 3", so off we went. I rented my super cool skis at BYU. I was told that they were cool by my friend's boys. I snapped on the skis and instantly felt a little out of control. I made it over to the little hill that had a tow rope. I did it! Then I fell. No blood, no foul! Then the lift opened. I got in line and waited my turn. Some of you know that I am just slightly (read incredibly) scared of heights. But I got on the lift and started up. That lift is kinda high off the ground, ya know?! But I sat back real tight and took a deep breath. It was amazingly beautiful up there. I even hopped off the lift with no incidents. My friend, who has been skiing for over 20 years, was very kind and went slow and waited for me all the way down the slope. And boy did I go slow! I was holding back her 5 year old and he wasn't very happy with me. There were 2 year olds passing me up. I did fall a couple or 3 times that first run, but the 2nd time (yes, I went again!) was faster and fall-free! I want to go again. So glad I didn't forever write this sport off. I will never be Lindsay Vonn, but I can enjoy it. Oh, and sorry, no pictures. Didn't want to ruin my camera if I fell on it. Some people were going down with babies in hiking backpacks...they obviously were above me in experience. Can't wait to go again.

1 comment:

Verlee said...

It is awesome learning a new sport. It took me forever to get comfortable on the lifts...but I still fall regularly when I get off! I am soo jealous of your free mountain opportunities in Utah..and easy access.